05 October 2006

fragment

light

Keryn asked me the other day what was most important to me, what I needed. For herself she could not be whole without God, and her family, and dance. I replied, Jesus, community, and... I laughed as it came to me... sunshine.

What is it with light? What is so fascinating to me about it? The radiant golden floods of daylight that the early afternoon sun pours out is the kind of light I feel most at home in. It feels like home. It feels natural and comfortable, an outward match of what is inside me.

Some of my best times are directly related to the light. I hold precious the memory of the summer I spent working myself to exhaustion five days a week planting things at a garden center, because as the summer progressed I got in the habit of going to bed around 9pm and getting up at 5 to spend 45 minutes of free time in the newborn morning light with some black tea [laced with vanilla and maple syrup] and one of two Christian books that fed me that season. Being up before anyone else in the house is stirring has always been something I love, and though I can enjoy staying up late at night for the same reason that no one else is awake, the thin early sun is more than reason enough to make mornings my preferred time to lose sleep.

Walks coming home from work can, on certain shifts, hit sunset or dusk just right. Tonight, for example, the sun was setting back behind the city skyline in streaks of red and pink and orange and lavender. On the other side of the sky the moon was rising high over the ocean as it does every night, white luminescence against a deep blue backdrop. I probably spent as much time staring up at either side as I did where I was going. The moon does things to me. Makes my mind go a little bit spaced out. Lunatic. My friend Craig who spent five years in the bush with the aborigines doing nothing said he got so attuned to his body and the natural world around him that he could feel his breathing shift when the moon rose so that even if he was not in sight of the moon he knew when it came up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

julie.. love the new post. although i'm not sure i can relate to getting up at 5 to watch the sun come up ( i am never up that early unless somone else makes me get up that early) but you make me wish i did.


lots of love. hope all is well. we really need to reschedule our phone date. when is good for you? :o)

-j. said...

Sunrises are nice. I've gone to one or two at the beach. But usually I witness sunrise from the lightening of the street outside my Starbucks. While I do love the sunshine, I also love the moonlight. I often attribute it to being right on the cusp of Cancer and Leo, Cancer being associated with the silver moon and Leo associated with the golden sun. Most of my creative work was done in the middle of the night throughout high school and college. Due to work, though, I have been forced to become a morning person. I can't decide if I like getting up and moving before the sun or enjoying the evening and the moonlight better... Ah to live on the cusp of two very different zodiac signs...

I miss you much! When do you erturn state-side? I would love to come visit you when you get settled back in!