21 July 2010

The Good Master, Again

Yesterday morning I sat at the kitchen table with the Bible at one hand and some cookbooks at the other. I was actually more interested in the cookbooks at the time, until in my flipping through the New Testament between recipes I was snagged by a certain prayer in the book of Jude. Picture the double take, the record scratch, the dropping of the toast in my left hand, the whole deal. Thar she blows:

Jude 1: 24-25
Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy, to the only God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.

Able to keep me from stumbling? Makes me stand before God, in spite of all my numerous weaknesses and failings, not just blameless but with great joy? Praise to the One who is filled with all majesty, authority, and glory? AMEN!!

But wait, I kept on flipping, and there was more:

1 Thess 5: 23-24
Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.

God's making us stand before him without blame. There's no space for shame, did you hear that? He makes us holy, whole and integrated, spirit, soul, and body. He is the one who called us to him and caused us to respond, and He is the one who makes it happen. I place myself in his hands. That's my part. He does all the rest. That's his part. A masterful God indeed.

The staggering nature of these promises left me staring at the pages. I'm not working on my own. He's here, and with me, and for me, in ways so deep I have trouble wrapping my mind around it. Thank God.

No comments: