10 January 2007

I may not be addicted to transitions, but I sure get enough of them.

Yesterday was what they would have called ‘travel day’ if they gave you travel days around the vacations at Hillsdale. It made me sympathize with all those people from Alaska (yeah, all two of those people) and the southwest who had to zigzag across the country to get to Michigan and college. It wasn’t really that bad, but it did take a while. This was partly due to my own choice. I was supposed to go Detroit-Minneapolis-San Diego, and when I got to the Twin Cities they had overbooked and were offering $300 vouchers to anyone who would give up their seat and take a later flight. As I had no particular time I had to be in San Diego I took this excellent offer, so I got home at 8pm instead of the original 1pm, and had another leg added to my journey. Detroit-Minneapolis-Seattle-San Diego. Probably another hour and a half of flight time. But, you know, it was good, cause it meant I achieved the following firsts:
-free airline ticket (probably to be used for the family reunion in July)
-sleeping in an airport (1 ½ hours dozing during my Minneapolis layover, much welcomed after 4 hours of sleep the previous night)
-not one but TWO flights seated in first class! (they upgraded me for being a volunteer! My opinion is yes it’s a little bit nicer, roomier, but not worth the extra prices. Free alcohol if you like that but I wasn’t drinking. They do take your coat and hang it up for you, which I enjoyed.)

So I moved into my apartment! Well, more accurately I met Tunisia, parked my car, hauled my bedding and suitcase upstairs, and fell asleep on the sofa in my room. It’s 4 ½ feet long. Comfortable, but not really any room to stretch one’s legs out J Buying a bed is the first thing on my list. I’ve got plenty to keep me busy this week, and I think it’s going to be fun unpacking all my stuff I haven’t seen for 9 months. Kind of like Christmas. At my house we have all these unique ornaments for the Christmas tree, from my mom’s travels in Europe, from this cool store from when we lived in L.A., and recent acquisitions from World Market. It’s always exciting to decorate the tree and find old friends as you unwrap each ornament. I figure moving in is going to be kind of like that.

That’s my situation at the moment! I feel like an explorer. Watch this space!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie -- Fantastic ! ! -- D.

Unknown said...

It's good to read your blog and see where in the world Julie is today. Keep transitting like the graceful transitioner you are, my friend.

Xana Ender said...

He's actually a Mormon, but he's very good about reviewing movies. Very clear when they have bad values but yet is not stodgy:-) He's Orson Scott Card. I have a link from my webpage.