11 May 2006

I'm not real big on signs, but...

So two days ago I posted about wanting to be more active in stuff here, and listed some thoughts I had for how to do that. I published my post and walked out the door to see what was in the neighborhood where I could be a cheerful helping hand doing whatever was needed. And three minutes down the road from my house I notice an Anglican church, St. Andrew's. The door was locked, Wednesday 1:30pm, but I paused for two seconds to read the notice board next to the entryway. This is when the too-many-coincidences-to-be-coincidences began to happen.
1. A man (Craig) immediately arrives and unlocks the door and invites me in.
2. I introduce myself and my mission and Craig offers two things they need help with: making espresso drinks for the single-moms creche on Tuesdays, and the music ministry, of which he is head. (I came to Sydney with the intention of working at a coffee shop, and I've just recently decided that I want to help women, and obviously I sing.)
3. Craig invites me to sing with him and Nicole right then and there. The first song he pulls out is Summertime. The song I almost always sing when someone randomly asks me to sing something.
4. Darren is introduced to me. Darren is just getting a ministry for backpackers off the ground. I, being a backpacker, am drafted to help.
5. The next person who comes in is told, "This is Julie. She was sent to us by God."

So today was St. Andrew's Thursday morning "Cafe Harmony" featuring free coffee and free music. I got to sing jazz for three hours. Wow. Wow. And it's literally three minutes away. My community church!!! Expect the unexpected where God is concerned.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

THAT'S FREAKING AWESOME!

holy crap, julie! holy crap!

Anonymous said...

julie that is so BEAUTIFUL. i don't know what else to say. Beautiful and wonderful and so amazing and wow.

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie,
These little wonders are the Lords way of saying thank you! You are indeed blessed. My regret is that I didn't get to hear you sing jazz.
Norma

Jane said...

That's wonderful dear! I love reading about your adventures. They are fun and uplifting and beautiful and full of hope and life. I love you so much and am so glad that you are such an amazing servant of God's. All my love, darling!