09 May 2006

life to the full

I am excited to say that I think I want to plunge full-on into life here in Sydney. As many of you know, my jobs and activities the last many months have left me with lots of free time. I'm now ready to be more occupied than I have been since I left college. First off I'm going to ask for more hours at work, or possibly find a second job. Secondly I'm going to try to get deep into ministries or volunteering at Hillsong Church. I'm a bit limited in that I don't have a car and church is in the city, a bus and a train ride away. So I'm also going to see if local churches have anything I could help out with as well. Thirdly I'm going to pursue friendships with some of the awesome girls I've met at Hillsong and also try to meet people from Hillsong who live in my suburb. I want your ideas too! I want to put my heart and my mind and my hands to use to bless others as I have been blessed. I'm eager but undirected.

Today as I was putting on makeup there came a pounding at the door. I leaned out the window and shouted, Just a second! When I'd pulled on a sweater and gone to unlock the door I found two men in blue shirts on the stoop. "We're detectives from the New South Wales police force," one of them said, flashing a badge. "Is Robert X at home?"
Turns out Rob's family hadn't heard from him in a month, he wasn't answering his cell phone, and they were very worried that something had happened to him. "Oh," I said. "Well, I saw him night before last, he cleaned the kitchen. He seems fine. He works at Darling Harbour at some restaurant. He's gone most of the time. I think I'm the only one in the house right now. No, I don't have his number or the name of where he works. I've only lived here a week. Yes, I'll leave him your card and a note to call you the minute he gets back no matter what time it is." The detectives took my mobile number and shortly thereafter I got a message from a constable asking me to call him back so he could ask me some more questions about the details of when I last saw Rob. However, before I returned his call I discovered at noon while trying to slip a note under his door that Rob had been asleep in his room the whole time. So I handed him the note and business card and told him I was passing on the responsibility to phone the police and/or his parents and tell everyone he was still alive. He groaned. "My mum's just ridiculous. And my sister knows my mobile's broken. OK. Cheers." "You're welcome," I said.

It's funny because up until this morning I had not seen a single police car or policeman since I arrived in Australia. And now I meet hired detectives flashing their badges at me, looking for my flatmate.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, julie. too funny. you shoudl write a book on your time there. i'd love to read it. just so you know :o)

Anonymous said...

that's so awesome!

lastnight i was home, talking loudly to my friend, cleaning my room, listening to some weird music and my mom called and told me to do some stuff for dinner and where was dad? i didn't know. i figured he wasn't there. i didn't see him so he must be outside or at a neighbor's or something. turns out that my mom was panicked when she got home. he was asleep in his bed the whole time. he was tired, poor guy.

[note, my dad never sleeps. he's a workaholic in the best sense possible. i just never think to look in their bedroom for him during the day!]

anyway, that's grand.

Anonymous said...

p. s. that was amy. can you tell from my not-capitalization? probably not. i need to insert "man" into my sentences more, hey? umm, yeah, i'm jealous of your ability to post this because xanga is down down down today, like that old fuel song from high school. man. -a